SOCIO-ECONOMIC SPECIALIST (RE-ADVERTISED)
HQ Power Yumn Ltd is an energy company operating one of the major projects of power production in Rwanda. The plant is located in the Southern Province.
Job Title: Socio-Economic Specialist (Re-advertised)
We are seeking an experienced Socio-Economic Specialist to join our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) team. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of socio-economic principles and possess expertise in analysing and assessing the social and economic impact of our peat harvesting operations. You will lead household Census and socio-economic surveys in the peat harvesting areas. You will be expected to undertake census, inventory of loss and vulnerability assessment as well as develop Livelihood Restoration Plans (LRP) that meet requirements of the IFC performance Standard 5 on land acquisition and involuntary resettlement. The holder is also expected to lead the monitoring of socio-economic impacts of the project in accordance with the project ESIA Monitoring Plan, and undertake implementation, evaluation, and monitoring of the LRPs.
- Conduct comprehensive census and inventory of loss to clearly identify the Project Affected Persons (PAPs) in the peat harvesting areas for land acquisition purpose.
- Develop, undertake, and analyse data and information related to socio-economic surveys and impact assessment including respective indicators, demographic trends, and other relevant factors.
- Define, and undertake the vulnerability assessment to be used in assessing vulnerability status of the affected households
- Develop Livelihood Restoration Plans (LRP) including entitlement matrix that meet requirements of the IFC performance Standard 5 on land acquisition and involuntary resettlement.
- Undertake implementation of the LRP as well as procedures to monitor and evaluate success of LRP initiatives.
- Organize for a completion audit upon full implementation of the LRP
- Undertake monitoring of the socio-economic impacts of the project activities in line with the project’s ESIA and existing socio-economic related reports
- Conduct field visits and engage with local communities, stakeholders, and government agencies to gather relevant data and feedback.
- Support in stakeholder’s engagement through mapping, meaningful consultation so that their needs are considered in LRP and relevant socio-economic reports
- Recommend measures to enhance socio-economic benefits from the project activities and minimise negative impacts, particularly to the project affected persons.
- Prepare technical reports and studies that effectively communicate findings, recommendations, and potential mitigation measures to stakeholders, and project management.
- Any other relevant duties assigned by the immediate supervisor or the management.
- Bachelors (Master’s degree is an added advantage) in Economics, Development Studies, Sociology, or a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working as a Socio-Economist or in a similar role, preferably in development projects or consulting.
- Strong knowledge of socio-economic principles, theories, and methodologies.
- Familiarity with World Bank/IFC requirements, particularly PS.5 on land acquisition and involuntary resettlement, guidelines, or other relevant international lender guidelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Ability to write clear and concise technical reports and effectively present complex information to diverse audiences.
- Proficiency in data analysis and statistical software packages.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send their both combined cover letter and well-detailed CV no later than 11th October 2023 via the apply button below.